Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Workout of the Week: The Silver Lining of a Flat Tire



That is a picture of Peter Reid and I riding in Solvang last week. I was just kicking his ass in this picture, and he kept saying, "Slow down Ben, I can't keep up." I felt so bad beating up on the World Champion of Ironman, but then again, he is really the ex-World Champion of Ironman.

Let me pull my tongue out of my cheek and continue.

Every week for the next 10 weeks leading up to Ironman Coeur D' Alene, I will be posting a "Workout of the Week". This is a challenging workout that I'll be assigning, in one form or another, to many of the Ironman athletes that I coach, to grow some hair on the chest, so to speak.

Here is today's. Don't come crying to me afterwards (P.S. It's a pool workout. Do not attempt on a treadmill).

Warm-up: 500m free

Drills: Take an old bicycle tire. Make sure it's uninflated (that's the kicker). Tie it around your feet so that you can't kick. At all. Swim 10x100 with 10 seconds rest after each 100. Figure out what actually makes you swim faster. Is it hip rotation? Downward pressing of the chest? Full hyperextension of the arm upon entry? A little bit of everything?

If you aren't a strong swimmer, do this in a pool that you can stand in, or you may drown. I wish I was kidding.

Then swim 200 meters freestyle, to work on those concepts you hammered home with the drill set.

Then move on to your main set, whatever happens to be assigned for that day.

Enjoy with a sip of chlorine.

Ben

5 comments:

jessithompson said...

Thanks for the workout suggestion... I think. If I drown it will be all your fault.

Steve said...

I like the idea of the workout of the week. Definitely something I will try. Anything to figure out how to swim faster. Thanks!

M-Dot said...

Thanks for the new challenge... Can I wear arm floats just incase I drown?? LOL....
Sounds good like steve anything to pick up speed is good.

Michelle and Jay

LORIE said...

Cool post. You're so cool Ben! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.