Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Closed For Repair



I could provide you with the nitty-gritty details that include the exact color of my deformed knee, but you know what - a general overview of this week should suffice.

-Took 6 days completely off cycling and running and knee bending. Gained *just* a bit of weight.

-Woke on 7th day, still couldn't climb a flight of stairs or kick while swimming. You gotta be kidding me.

-Went to see world famous sports medicine, who basically said: "Quit if you still want knees next season." Shoot, no more cortisone for me?

-Underwent a 90 minute biomechanical PT evaluation, where I discovered that my left foot joints ain't mobilizing and my right hip is completely locked in place. E-mail me if you want the explanation, but basically these combined problems are making me a very slow runner who overuses my left knee.

-And I will not be racing Clearwater 70.3 World Championships. Unless they give me a motorcycle.

-Beginning next Monday, I will set about fixing these issues and building a better body for the next season. Complete with waxed legs, an enhanced bust, and hopefully a moustache.

-Based on what I have learned about fitness and biomechanics in the past 8 weeks, I will be returning in 2009 as must faster and more "put together" athlete. I needed this injury to learn alot about my body, and how to enhance performance drastically with some simple biomechanical changes. Such as not wearing pumps, high heels, or snowshoes to my office.

Well folks, the 2008 race season has been a wild ride. Thanks for following. For those of you who are curious, here is next season, focused purely on the 70.3 circuit, with a few unnamed Sprints and Olympics sprinkled in...

Jan 20 Pucon Chile (low priority)
Apr 5 New Orleans
May: Florida or Wildflower
June 13 Boise
July 12 Rhode Island
August 2 Calgary
August 16 Lake Stevens
Nov 10 Clearwater


A huge thanks to all my sponsors, who have given the best support, shoes, bikes, nutrition, supplements and products on the planet...be sure to visit their websites on the right side of this page. And thank YOU for your comments, support and encouraging words!

Avia - (my shoe)
Specialized (my bike)
WheelSport East (my bike shop)
Blue Seventy (my wetsuit)
Bumblebar (my energy bar)
Champions Sports Medicine (my doc)
GU (my gels and sports drink)
Impax (my Enerprime multi-vitamin and Delta-E energy drink)
Markham Homes (my house and my way cool sponsor Brian)
Hammer Nutrition (my whey protein, endurolytes, and CoEnzymeQ10)
Millennium Sports (my secret power supplements)
nuun (my daily hydration drink)
Pacific Elite Fitness (my coach)
TN (my sunglasses)
Wicked Fast (my recovery pills)

See you in 2009. I'm off to eat fudge, have a martini...

...spend time with my cute boy...



...and his butt-ugly brother...



Cheers,
Ben

Remember to follow my Twitter updates at http://www.twitter.com/bengreenfield

5 comments:

Bucer's Coffeehouse Pub said...

Ben,
Sniff.
Double sniff.

I am so looking forward to heading for Florida with you, Jess and my grandsons. Sigh.
I know this was such a difficult decision for you. I am glad you chose to let your leg repair with one less big race, it certainly is wise.
I only wish you guys could still go and enjoy the R & R you'd surely get in Florida without race training involved. I think it'd do you a world of healing-good.
I'll spend the day determining whether to cancel my flight ($) or go alone and visit what family is anticipating a week with us.
If there's any way you can still go, let me know by 6p.m. PST today...

love you four...
me

jessithompson said...

You're smart, Ben. Sometimes you gotta trade the long term goals for the short term ones. Those decisions suck and are tough to make... but it will all be a drop in the bucket when you look back on this.

You've had an incredible season, Benny. We've loved watching you in action. Thanks for the ride...

LORIE said...

I love both those boys. I enjoyed spending a few hours with them!! I look forward to checking out the newly waxed bod, new bust, and manly moustache! I will also be there following next season. Let yourself heal. Be well my friend.

M-Dot said...

Good Choice Ben.
I can only imagine how difficult a dec. this was for you because we all know the comp. in you is strong.
Enjoy the well deserved break and your family you'll flurish for it.
Take care and heal well, don't push it.

Michelle n Jay

Phaedra Cote said...

Oh Ben....I'm glad you're hanging up the towel for this season-your body will thank you. I'm sorry you're faced with this nagging injury. I can appreciate what it feels like to have your season pulled out from under you.

I love that you're doing Pucon....Heather loves that race and someday, I'd like to do it. The trip itself sounds epic.

Your little turkeys are SOOO adorable. Those cheezy buttcheeks are the best. You guys make some damn-good offspring.

over and out-
Phaedra.