Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I Made an Onion Flower.



Jessa and I set out first thing in the morning to weave through crazy Phuket traffic for nearly two hours towards a remote side of the island where there is a famous Thai cooking school. We enrolled, and for the entire morning and afternoon, learned the art of Thai cooking. I even made a butterfly out of a raw carrot. This an important survival skill I'm certain I'll use someday.

Here are pictures with the highlights:







We fought traffic all the way home, watching our lives flash before our eyes as we dodged garbage trucks, semi trucks, and entire scooter gangs through busy Phuket rush hour traffic, while Jessa tried to simultaneously clutch my back and hold a crumpled map in my face. We arrived home stinky, sweaty, and full of creative Thai recipes that we look forward to preparing for our friends back in the States.

Sawadee! (goodbye in Thai).

Ben

P.S. It is very hot and humid here. This makes Kona, Hawaii seem like a winter wonderland. This will make for very difficult race conditions on Sunday...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben & Jessa,

The food pictures are beautiful! I can't wait to taste your new talent in cooking. Maybe we need to start our "Iron Chef" competition up in the Spokane/CdA area? I'll be a judge;].

Jessica Dawn, YOU (& the twins) STAY OFF THOSE SCOOTERS! Unless you're wearing a helmet on your abdomen, of course. Was it really dangerous driving or was that just part of my son's wild-blogging flare?

Jessa, Ben looks HUGE in the photo with you and that little Thai woman (instructor?). You don't look all that huge, so you must fit in well. ha.

Another snow blizzard coming in tonight to Moscow/Spkn/CdA area called "Heavy Snow Warning". Beautiful! Thinking of sledding this weekend.

Enjoy the beach. How's the prep for the race going? Muscle aches or anything?
Love from Moscow's Main St.
Mom

Phaedra Cote said...

Alright, now I'm downright jealous. Getting to go to a Thai cooking school in Thailand......and you're making pretty insects with your food (is a butterfly an insect? My 9 year old says no. I should know these things. I want detailed accounts and recipes....I feel a party idea coming on....

I don't know if you got a chance to take in Good Morning America today (do they watch that in Thailand ;)? We were ALL OVER that show.....well, kind of.....I mean, there was a definite flash of a red Tri-fusion sign in the back ground and even though nobody was able to read that it said Tri-Fusion....it was there.....and so were we.

Word-
Phaedra.

M-Dot said...

Ben and Jessa,

Most highly agree Phaedra, Thai cooking lessons for Tri-Fusion fun night! Nice job on your veggies.
That's so great you are taking a cooking class how fun. : )
Weather sounds a bit harsh but when your not sweatn' it's not worth it. Just think of all of us back here freezn' our toes,noses and other stuff off it was 19 this morning when I went venturing out burr.
Have a great race! You'll do great and everyone will wonder who the super tall giant man is crossing the line!
Can't wait for the food critques.

Asta la' Huskinson